Monday, October 29, 2012

Other Duties, as Assigned

Being a community college president affords me lots of opportunities to get out in front of people, to let my voice be heard and my face seen... but who would have thought that it would come to this! 
 
At this year's Runaway Pumpkin Half Marathon, a fundraiser for ABC House, I got to spend 3 1/2 hours cheering on 970 half-marathoners of all shapes and sizes and speeds.... An amazing gathering of dedicated runners and walkers, at least a few of whom were deaf (they'd say “thank you” to me in sign language as they ran by), a few were physically disabled, and all of them running or walking those 13.1 miles through the pouring rain and thinking that it was great humor that I was standing 1/2 mile from the finish line in my Grim Reaper costume and encouraging them with the words "The end near"  .....Priceless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment