Monday, April 9, 2012

A Student Connection


This past weekend I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with a "young" friend, celebrating his 46th birthday, and our 28 years of friendship.  Do the math.....

I met him when he was 18, when he was a Freshman student at the college where I worked and, through my being his teacher, his employer, and his mentor, we became friends.  He tells me that his life has been changed forever (and for the good) as a result of our friendship, but I would be surprised if the change-for-the-good hasn't benefited me more than him.

What I've learned from him is that the change we hope for in our students doesn't come through their connection with a program, a course, or a subject matter.  It comes through their connection with us.

Every one of us at LBCC has the potential of being this catalyst for change in a student... and of being changed ourselves in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment